Recently I attended a women’s empowerment seminar, “Sisters Take Charge!” I originally signed up for the event to hear handsome author and former radio host Michael Baisden, but I got more than I bargained for. I was inspired by all of the presenters—local doctors, business leaders, a minister and an educator—but three speakers really resonated with me.
Dr. Peola Dews Jackson, a local educator and motivational speaker, emphasized the importance of acceptance, improvement and the Law of Attraction. She had three powerful messages:
• Acceptance: Love yourself the way you are.
• Improvement: Keep growing and trying to improve yourself. “You are good, but you can be damn good if you want to be,” she said.
• Attraction: When you feel good about yourself, you will attract the people in your life that you need.
Michelle Tatom, director of Small Business Development for the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, talked about three prerequisites for success. She urged us to:
• Forgive: Don’t carry the extra baggage of hurt and anger. Forgive the people who have hurt you and move on with your life.
• Believe in Yourself: You have to feel that you deserve success. Appreciate your good qualities and know that you are worthy of the best.
• Be Fearless: Don’t let fear hold you back from trying something new. “Fear is just False Evidence Appearing Real,” she reminded us.
And Michael Baisden gave us some valuable tips for building healthy relationships. He told us to create a new role model for successful relationships based on honesty, realistic expectations and good communication. He said women should keep our standards high and challenge our partners to meet our high expectations.
Yes, sometimes it’s worth spending time on a Saturday getting inspired, energized and empowered!